Porta Galliana

Gate of the city to the harbor area along the river Marecchia

Town gate built in the 13th century connecting the city with the port area along the Marecchia River. It was part of the defensive wall.
It was restored by the lord of Rimini, Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, between 1417 and 1468, as it is derived from the Malatestian coins employed by Sigismondo himself to indicate the works he carried out or restructured. The door is represented in a bas-relief by Agostino di Duccio visible in the Malatestian Temple.
In the present days the ancient door has been recently restored in order to make it an historical-archaeological area that can be visited and accessible to everybody. As a matter of fact the Porta Galliana, the only medieval urban door existing in Rimini, is located at  3.25 meters below the road level.